Creating a fabric corner bookmark with a pocket is a delightful sewing project, and it makes a wonderful gift, especially for children. This tutorial will guide you through the steps to sew a bookmark that sits on the corner of a page in a book using cotton fabric and interfacing. These charming corner bookmarks can also be a fantastic item to make and sell, making them a great addition to a school's book fair to raise funds.
**Materials you will need:**
1. **Cotton Fabric:** Choose cotton fabric with prints that children would love. Pick patterns and colors that will pique their interest.
2. **Interfacing:** Fusible interfacing will add stability to your bookmark. Choose a lightweight interfacing.
3. **Scissors or Rotary Cutter:** For cutting fabric and interfacing.
4. **Ruler or Measuring Tape:** To measure and cut precise dimensions.
5. **Pins or Clips:** To hold the fabric in place while sewing.
6. **Sewing Machine:** You can sew by hand, but a sewing machine will make the process faster and more precise.
7. **Iron and Ironing Board:** For pressing seams and attaching the interfacing.
8. **Thread:** Match the color of your fabric or choose a contrasting color for a decorative touch.
9. **Needle:** If you're sewing by hand.
**1. Measure and cut your fabric and interfacing:**
- Begin by cutting three identical squares of cotton fabric with prints that children would find appealing. The size of the squares will depend on your preference, but a common size is 5x5 inches (12.7x12.7 cm). Ensure that all three fabric squares are of equal size.
- Cut one square of interfacing to the same size as your fabric squares.
**2. Attach the interfacing:**
- Follow the manufacturer's instructions for attaching the fusible interfacing to the wrong side of one of your fabric squares. Usually, this involves placing the interfacing with the adhesive side against the wrong side of the fabric and pressing with an iron.
**3. Fold one fabric square into a triangle:**
- Take one of the fabric squares with a child-friendly print and fold it diagonally into a triangle with the wrong sides facing together. This triangle will create the pocket where the book page can be inserted.
**4. Layer the fabric squares:**
- Place the two remaining fabric squares, also with fun prints, right sides together (with the interfacing on the inside). The folded triangle should be sandwiched between them, with the triangle's folded edge aligned with the top edge of the other two squares.
**5. Pin or clip the layers:**
- Secure the layers together with pins or clips along three sides of the square, leaving one side open. This open side is where you will turn the bookmark right-side-out later.
**6. Sew the layers together:**
- Using a 1/4 inch (0.6 cm) seam allowance, sew along the three pinned sides, ensuring that the folded triangle remains securely in place. Backstitch at the beginning and end to secure your stitches.
**7. Trim the corners:**
- Trim the excess fabric from the corners, being careful not to cut too close to the stitching to prevent fraying.
**8. Turn the bookmark right-side-out:**
- Reach inside the open side and carefully turn the bookmark right-side-out. You can use a blunt object, like a pencil, to push out the corners and edges for a clean finish.
**9. Press the bookmark:**
- Iron the bookmark flat, ensuring that all edges and corners are well-defined.
**10. Topstitch around the bookmark:**
- Sew a topstitch about 1/8 inch (0.3 cm) from the edges of the bookmark. This will close the open side and provide a finished look while also adding durability.
**11. Finishing touches:**
- Trim any loose threads and give your bookmark one final press with the iron.
These delightful corner bookmarks with fun prints make excellent gifts for children, encouraging their love for reading. If you plan to make and sell them, a good price point to consider is $2 per piece. They can also be a fantastic addition to a school's book fair, where they not only make great items for kids but also help raise funds for educational initiatives. Enjoy creating and sharing these charming bookmarks!